Welcome to M2M One’s February newsletter – 2016 is already shaping up to become a landmark year for the M2M/IoT industry with CISCO announcing the acquisition of Jasper earlier this month. The team at M2M One are looking at how we can continue to provide Australia’s best M2M service while offering new functionality and products to keep your business on the cutting edge. This year we’ll be bringing in: New International Roaming services & pricing, Improved alerting and analytics, a new billing & payment system, a new IP network and much more – Stay tuned!
This month we take a look at one of our first cloud software partners in Eagle.io, how to better manage your SIM inventory in the Jasper M2M Control Centre, some predictions for M2M/IoT moving in to 2016 and our ever present reminder of Telstra’s 2G sunset on December 1st this year.
This month’s newsletter features:
- Notification – Eagle.io and M2M One Partnership
- Reference –Custom Fields in Jasper
- Blog –M2M & IoT Predictions for 2016
- Customer Reminder –Telstra 2G (GSM) 900MHz Shutdown
1. Notification – Eagle.io Platform Partnership
If you’ve purchased a SIM card from us in the past, there is a reasonable chance that you’re using it in a remote device to collect time sensitive data, which requires a software solution to analyse, graph, dashboard and alert based on the values you’re measuring.
In the early days of M2M & IoT managing this data and presenting it in a user friendly and useful way was time consuming and required in house software. The recent explosion of M2M & IoT software platforms has made accessing, storing and presenting your data considerably easier.
To help our customers navigate through the variety of solutions on the market, we are working to develop partnerships with cloud software providers that allow you to make use of the data you’re transmitting with M2M One SIMs.
One of our first partners is eagle.io – www.eagle.io
Eagle.io has native compatibility with alarge number of dataloggers and is able to ingest, visualise, dashboard and setup alerts and alarms for any devices that can push data to an FTP, email it, or save it
Using eagle.io, you can visualise and alert not only your machine and environmental data, but data streams generated from your operational software, or third-party data published to websites.
The outcome of our partnership means that we can provide M2M One customers withfree, three month trial access to the platform.
To kick off a three month free trial, complete the web form and mention this newsletter feature. You will be contacted within 24 hours to set up your platform access: https://www.eagle.io/trial.
2. Reference – Custom Fields in Jasper
In April last year M2M One opened up admin functionality for our customers in the Jasper M2M Control Centre allowing improved control of your SIM inventory (read the original announcement here) Since then we’ve had some great feedback on the platform and it’s only going to get better in 2016.
One of our most frequently asked questions from our customers is how can they better use Jasper as an authoritative inventory of their services.
In the M2M One instance of the control centre you can assign up to 5 custom fields to your SIM cards and also assign ‘End Customers’ which can be used to group services into cost centres when exporting to Excel.
- Select the Admin Tab and Navigate to Custom Fields
- To Enable any of the 5 custom fields click in the Enabled column and select Yes
- To name any of the 5 custom fields enter the desired name in the Custom label field
- When updates have been saved, navigate back to the Service listing and right click on any column header – This will open a list of available headers, you should see your new custom fields in this list. Enable to tick-box next to your desired headers to enable it in service view and excel exports.
- In the service listing click on any ICCID number
- In the ICCID page select the End Consumer tab under the Additional Information section
- Press edit to bring up the End Consumer pop-up
- Only the End Customer information will be displayed on the Services listing under the End Customer header
3. Blog – M2M & IoT Predictions for 2016
4. Reminder – Telstra 2G 900MHz Shutdown
M2M One would like to continue to remind customers that Telstra will discontinue their 2G/GSM 900MHz network on the 1st of December 2016. This will impact all M2M One customers utilising 2G/GSM only hardware in Australia.
You can view our official notification here
M2M One customers with 2G devices have the opportunity to utilise 3G and soon, 4G LTE. All M2M One SIM cards are compatible with the Telstra 2G, 3G (and soon) 4G network, so you will not need to physically change any SIM cards from M2M One.
M2M One customers affected by the shut down of Telstra’s 2G/GSM network who are looking for solutions/alternatives for their 2G/GSM devices are advised to contact a 3G/4G LTE device vendor.
Please read M2M One’s notification of the shutdown if you haven’t already.
You can also read our blog on the Australian 2G Shutdown