Welcome to M2M One’s December Newsletter.
As 2016 draws to a close we’d like to thank our customers, partners and peers for a great year and wish you all every success in 2017.
In December we look at the aftermath of Telstra’s 2G shutdown and what the future has in store for remaining 2G devices in Australia, advise you of our operating hours over Christmas & New Years, offer some tips on managing your devices through the M2M One Control Centre and a reminder about our new data plans and features.
This month’s newsletter features:
- Notification – M2M One Operating Hours – Christmas & New Year
- 2G Update – Post-Telstra 2G Shutdown information
- M2M Control Centre – Managing Devices
- Pricing & Features – M2M One SIM Cards and Data Plans
1. Notification – M2M One Operating Hours – Christmas & New Year
M2M One Office Re-Opens – 8:30am Tuesday 3rd January 2017
Cut-Off for SIM Orders – 2:00pm Thursday 22nd December 2016
SIM Orders Re-commence – Tuesday 3rd January 2017
SIM orders can be placed by e-mailing email@example.com
Telstra & M2M One Network Embargo
Embargo ends – Monday 9th January 2017
2. 2G Update – Post Telstra 2G Shut-Down Information
On December 1st 2016 Telstra completed their shutdown of the 2G (900Mhz) Mobile Network across Australia. This now leaves only the Optus and Vodafone networks available for 2G devices, with a view that all remaining 2G coverage will be closed and re-farmed for LTE by 30th September 2017.
To continue operating M2M/IoT devices on the M2M One/Telstra network in Australia you need to make sure that the device contains a module capable connecting to 850Mhz 3G and for optimal coverage 850/2100Mhz 3G (Devices only able to connect to 2100Mhz will not work on the Telstra network, 850Mhz is a requirement for a 3G connection)
To learn more about the Australian 2G shutdown and to prepare your Optus & Vodafone devices for their shut-down next year, you can read our blog at – https://www.m2mone.com.au/preparing-your-business-for-the-2g-gsm-network-shut-down-in-australia/
3. M2M Control Centre – Managing Devices
- Activate/Deactivate SIM cards
- Edit End User/ Cost Centre details for individual customers
- Add and edit up to 5 additional custom fields that can be stored against each of your SIMs
- Diagnose and monitor data usage, network connectivity and activity in real-time
- All changes can be made through the portal GUI or in bulk by uploading a spreadsheet
You will need to contact M2M One support to:
- Change Rate Plan or APN on a SIM
- Configure Alerts & Rules on SIMs (This is temporary, until the feature is re-activated for customers in 2017)
4. Pricing & Features – M2M One SIM Cards and Data Plans
- Each SIM has a fixed allowance of data, when this data is exhausted the SIM will be suspended until the plan is moved to a higher allowance or reset in the next billing month.
- Ideal for solutions that need a fixed cost and fixed allowance of data – i.e consumer IoT products.
- Each SIM on the same rate plan contributes it’s data to a shared pool (For example, 10x 50MB SIMs gives you a 500MB pool of data)
- If your total usage is above your pooled allowance the SIMs will begin to generate excess charges for the month – However M2M One can help you mitigate this by moving the SIMs to a more cost effective plan before the last day of the calendar month.
- M2M One can provide a daily email digest of pooled plan usage for maximum visibility.
- Group data plans are ideal for all business critical M2M Solutions.